Tuesday, November 2, 2010

8 signs from Dr. Rocco's class.....

As most of you know, I've gone back to school.  Since I'd been out of the loop a while, and, since I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up (again), I decided to return to the hallowed halls of community college.  Since I was living in Moval at the time, and since the RCC campus was LITERALLY down the street, I went there. 

I was lucky enough to get a fabulous Humanities professor in one Dr. Chris Rocco.  He truly is great.

What is NOT great, however, is the caliber of students in class with me.  Having taught in public education for more than a decade, I thought I'd be prepared for my classmates, but they never cease to amaze me.

What has been shoking me this quarter, however, is how sheltered these kids seem.  We hear so much in the media about how kids are exposed to so much, how it's corrupting thier minds.  However, they are absolutely culture-less.  They really don't seem to know what's going on in the real world, and it's a little scary!

A couple of them had, or planned to vote today.  One other student had watched "The Rally to Restore America and/or Fear." 

Maybe it's me.  Maybe I'm just old and jaded.  I don't know - here are few examples of what I'm talking about....

1. No one in class knew what the Rocky Horror Picture Show was.  They seriously had NO CLUE.  When I brought up Glee, hoping to bridge the generation gap, someone actually thought that the creators of Glee had made up RHPS for their Halloween.  They didn't realize that all the songs on that show were old songs?

2. While waiting in the hallway, or even in the classroom before classes, I'm the only one not sucked into my ipod or phone.  I'm actually willing to have a conversation with a real person.

3. Last week we were discussing Sappho, who lived on the island of Lesbos with a bunch of her girlfriends, and they all sat around writing poetry.  I compared it to Lilith Faire, and got a bunch of blank responses.  When I mentioned Sarah McLaclan all I got was, "isn't that the lady on that commerical to help hurt animals?"

4. Last semester we were discussing the development of the factory system.  Someone in my small group said that they had to work for minimum wage.  When I asked how much it was now she said, "$8."  I mentioned that when I started working minimum wage was $2.75.  The kids were shocked.  They didn't understand how anyone could life on so little.

5. Which brought to light the fact that a gallon of gas, "Way back then" was .99.  No one believed me.

6. The fact that for a moment my fingers' muscle memory wanted to look for the "cent" sign that used to be on a TYPEWRITER.  I think it's where the asterik is now?

7. Honestly, most of these kids could easily have been in my classes at Serrano.  In fact.

8. One girl turned 18 last week.  She asked when I graduated from high school.  I said, "1993."  "Oh," she replied, "I think that's when my mom graduated."

As RM said today, "If they don't get it on facebook, twitter, or from a video game, they have no clue."  I say they need to leave the electronics at home for a day and actually look at the world around them.

Not that I would trade where I am now, don't get me wrong.  I love the "Candice and Rocco show,"  playing tuesdays and thursdays this semester. 

It just brings to mind that song from "Bye Bye Birdie"  "Kids, what the heck is wrong with these kids today...."

No comments:

Post a Comment